Watched both movies in succession and Boy, what a diff! Whereas I Am Kalam should be nominated for Oscars, Bbuddha should be hidden from Oscar Judges just in case it casts an opposite image of picture quality coming from India. I am going to write what was simply superb about I Am Kalam and please use a negative multiplier (words like No, Not, Missing et al.) to get a review of Bbuddha.
Transformation: As I wrote in earlier reviews that transformation has to be gradual throughout the movie and the movie should leave characters at the beginning of a new life than actually showing the complete effect of transformation. Both kids trasformed very well, both realizing their potential, in their special own way. Other characters did their bit and some characters were not transformed, which is a reality. Laptan would still be a guy who would like to be in hs dream world waiting for another kid to bully upon.
Subject: Just one kid's wish to follow what President of his country told the nation to do and then thank him (President) for what those words did to his life. Little bit remind me of "My Name is Khan" (talking to President) but the resemblance ends there. For I Am Kalam's subject is well chosen, theme is maintained throughout the movie and editing is very tight. All that missing in "My Name..".
Acting: Superb acting! That Kid really outdid kids from Taare Zameen Par and Stanley Ka Dabba purely because he looked in the moment and enjoying every bit of it :) All other actors did a great job as well, including the best act thus far by Gulshan Grover (Not So "Bad Man" :)
Direction: This is what happens when your heart is set on a subject. It happened to Farhan when he made Dil Chahta Hai, to Raju when he made Munna Bhai and it happened to Nila and if you read Nila's facebook page you would understand what I am saying.
So, three cheers for I AM KALAM and hope it really wins Oscar.
Last line on Bbudhha: Think there is a stream of such movies coming out of Bollywood after release of "Dabbangg" and there is an audience that likes those movies. I respect that but at the same time I request you to go watch movies like I Am Kalam so Indian Cinema can progress intelectually and provide more thought leadership to the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment